Hear why this is one of the top-notch Power BI tutorials on Udemy. If you’re looking for a comprehensive, hands-on guide to learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop, you’ve come to the right place.
In this tutorial, you’ll be playing the role of Lead Business Intelligence Analyst for Adventure Works Cycles, a global manufacturing company. Your mission? To design and deliver a professional-quality, end-to-end business intelligence solution, armed only with a handful of raw CSV files.
By the end of the Adventure Works project, not only will you have developed an entire business intelligence tool from the ground up, but you will have gained the knowledge and confidence to apply these same concepts to your own real-world analyses. For those looking for more opportunities to test their skills, I’ve also included an additional set of project files for a bonus Final Project. This is your chance to showcase all of the skills you’ve developed throughout the tutorial and apply them to a brand new data set from Maven Market, a global supermarket chain.
Whether you’re a casual user, aspiring analyst, or data science, professional, this tutorial will give you the tools you need to become an absolute Power BI ROCK STAR — guaranteed. Master Power BI Desktop & learn advanced Power BI analysis & data visualization with a top Microsoft Power BI instructor.
What you’ll learn:
- Build professional-quality business intelligence reports from the ground up.
- Blend and transform raw data into beautiful interactive dashboards.
- Design and implement the same B.I. tools used by professional analysts and data scientists.
- Showcase your skills with two full-scale tutorial projects (with step-by-step solutions).
- Understand the business intelligence workflow from end-to-end.
- Learn from a best-selling instructor and professional BI developer.
- Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- This tutorial is designed for PC/Windows users (currently not available for Mac).
- Experience with Excel Power Query, Power Pivot & DAX is a plus, but not required.
But don’t worry, I’ll be guiding you through the ins-and-outs of Power BI Desktop, sharing crystal clear explanations and helpful pro tips each step of the way. We’ll follow a steady, systematic progression through the B.I. workflow, and break down our project into four key objectives:
Objective #1: Connect & Transform the Raw Data
- Intro to the Query Editor.
- Types of Data Connectors.
- Basic Table Transformations.
- Text, Number & Date Tools.
- Index & Conditional Columns.
- Grouping & Aggregating Data.
- Pivoting & Unpivoting.
- Modifying, Merging & Appending Queries.
- Connecting to Folders.
- Defining Hierarchies & Categories.
- Query Editing Best Practices.
Objective #2: Build a Relational Data Model
- Intro to Database Normalization.
- Data (“Fact”) Tables vs. Lookup (“Dimension”) Tables.
- Creating Table Relationships.
- “Star” vs. “Snowflake” Schemas.
- Active vs. Inactive Relationships.
- Relationship Cardinality.
- Connecting Multiple Data Tables.
- Filtering & Cross-Filtering.
- Hiding Fields from Report View.
- Data Modeling best Practices.
Objective #3: Add Calculated Fields with DAX
- Intro to Data Analysis Expressions (DAX).
- Calculated Columns vs. Measures.
- Row Context vs. Filter Context.
- DAX Syntax & Operators.
- Common Function Categories.
- Basic Date & Time Formulas.
- Logical & Conditional Statements.
- Text, Math & Stats Functions.
- Joining Data with related.
- Calculate, all & filter Functions.
- DAX Iterators (SUMX, AVERAGEX).
- Time Intelligence Formulas.
- DAX Best Practices.
Objective #4: Design Interactive Reports
- Intro to the Power BI Report View.
- Adding Objects & Basic Charts.
- Formatting & Filtering Options.
- Matrix Visuals.
- Slicers & Timelines.
- Cards & KPIs.
- Map Visuals (Basic, Fill, ArcGIS).
- Treemaps, Lines, Areas & Gauges.
- Editing Report interactions.
- Adding Drillthrough Filters.
- Linking to Report Bookmarks.
- Using “What-If” Parameters.
- Managing & Viewing Roles.
- Preview: Publishing to Power BI Service.
- Data Viz Best Practices.
Who this tutorial is for:
- Anyone looking for a hands-on, project-based introduction to Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- Data analysts and Excel users hoping to develop advanced data modeling, dashboard design, and business intelligence skills.
- Aspiring data professionals looking to master the #1 business intelligence tool on the market.
- Students who want a comprehensive, engaging, and highly interactive approach to training.