Welcome to the beginner tutorial on How to Build a REST API from scratch, using Django, Django REST Framework, Python, Vagrant, VirtualBox, Atom, and ModHeaders. You’ll also learn how to deploy your dev server to AWS. This tutorial is made with Django 2.2 and Django REST Framework 3.9. The skills taught in this tutorial are absolutely essential for creating successful products that users love and can’t live without.
Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, you name it. These apps all have their backend REST APIs that handle millions of call requests daily. You cannot build a successful app without a backend REST API. Not only is it essential to whatever app or MVP you are building – the skills you learn in this tutorial will make you a kickass developer in the workplace.
If you’re a front-end developer and you take this tutorial, you’ll be able to “speak backend” with your colleagues and understand what’s going on “under the hood” of all your projects, increasing your confidence and earning respect of your peers.
If you’re a newbie developer or just starting out in your career, this tutorial will give you a very practical foundation for building your portfolio and increasing your earning potential. In this tutorial, you will learn the best-practice way of building your very own REST API.
You will learn how to create a local development server and test your code each step of the way. Whether you’re looking to gain a bit of experience with backend development, or you’re looking to create a REST API to turn your app idea into a reality – then this tutorial is for you. Finally, create that App + fully-functioning user database in this crash tutorial to build a REST API.
What you’ll learn:
- How to create the most important part of any user application.
- How to confidently use some of the most in-demand full stack technologies today.
- How to create a local development server from scratch.
- How to create a brand new Django project with sqlite database.
- How to build your own browsable, self documenting REST API.
- Handle user registration, login, and status updates in your app with your very own REST API.
- A basic level of experience in any programming language.
- Familiarity with simple command line tools like command prompt or terminal.
- Access to a computer running either Windows 10 or Mac OS.
- A passion for learning and a willingness to persevere when things get tough.
By the end of this tutorial you will have built a fully functioning REST API that can handle:
- Creating and updating user profiles.
- Login and authentication.
- Posting status updates.
- Viewing status update feeds.
- You’ll also have a solid foundation to understanding one of the most complex components in software development.
Please note: This tutorial is made with Django v1.11 and not Django v2.0, but the principles taught in this tutorial apply to both versions of the software.
Who this tutorial is for:
- This tutorial is for developers who want build a REST API either for their app, MVP or business idea.
- This tutorial is for frontend developers who want to learn backend.